[CentOS] Interface bonding?

John jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 18:26:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 13:43 -0400, Guy Boisvert wrote:
> Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 11:24 +0100, Michael Simpson wrote:
> >> Certainly the 2900 will support 802.3ad or LACP natively.
> >>
> >> i found this which may be of use
> >>
> >> <http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Cisco+Systems+IOS-based+switches-+interface+bonding+and+trunking?t=anon>
> >
> > So, as it turns out, it's a 2900XL, which does not support 802.3ad or
> > LACP at all, just a proprietary port channeling for switch interconnect
> > as far as I can tell.
> >
> > I suppose that leaves me with just using pure software (for now, I have
> > an 8 port Intel Pro 100 at home that I'll look at...), but I'm unable to
> > get the increased throughput using mode=0.  I did notice, however, while
> > I was on the switch console it kept complaining about the interfaces
> > flapping and re-learning addresses.  My network guy here at work said
> > that it was bad and either the switch or the bond(s) is misconfigured
> > somewhere.  Any hints as to where and or what kinds of things I should
> > be looking at?
> >

> > --Tim
>
> Hi!
>
> LACP is a part of 802.3ad.
>
> Cisco 2900XL supports 802.1Q, ISL, EtherChannel, LACP, etc.  Depending
> on the age of the switch and the version and category of IOS used, the
> LACP support may be there.  Cisco has many IOS versions for the hardware
> you have.

And did you even try the command I give you?  In the previous thread
--->
Some of those are known to run IOS 10 - 12 The older 2900s don't support
it from about 7 -8 years ago.  Updates the IOS? If I paid a couple grand
for a core switch i'd be calling Cisco!

http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Cisco+Systems+IOS-based+switches-+interface
+bonding+and+trunking?t=anon> This seems like relevant info also....

> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/620/1.html
>

> As for protocols support, it's hard to beat Cisco.
>

> You may have a look at:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/140.pdf
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_configuration_example09186a0080094789.shtml
>

> Hope this helped!