[CentOS] Mail problems? Need help finding this process!

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 18:30:28 UTC 2008

--- Glenn <centos at 1bigadmin.biz> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I can't get this one figured out. The few search hits I get on it
> suggest it is mail-related, but I don't even know how that was determined.
>
> Apr 11 12:18:17 mxt root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255
> with signal 0
>
> I get one of these per minute. I can't seem to tweak for more verbosity.
>
> Could someone tell me what is going on or point me to a place to
> start troubleshooting this?
>
> CentOS 5 final fully updated
> Sendmail 8.13.8
> Dovecot 1.01
> MailScanner 4.68.8
> SpamAssassin 3.2.4
> ClamAV 0.92.1
>
> My milters have been turned off for troubleshooting.
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn

See if strace is installed on the system.

When the mxt process appears in ps aux or ps -ef, quickly note the PID
(suppose it's 6789) and attach to the process with strace:

    strace -p 6789

See if that yields anything.  Also, have you perused ALL log files for traces
of mxt ?

Try as root:

    find /var -type f -mtime 0 -exec grep -Hi mxt {} \;

That will scan every regular file under /var.  The -H option to grep has grep
print the filename that mxt was found in.

=======Keith