[CentOS] More info for -perm 2 ?

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Tue Apr 15 09:34:14 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 April 2008 08:48:46 William L. Maltby wrote:
> > -perm -mode
> >  All of the permission bits mode are set for the file.
> "Man chmod".
>
> The pertinent part:
>
>  A  numeric  mode is from one to four octal digits (0-7), derived by
>  adding up the bits with values 4, 2, and 1.  Any omitted digits are
>  assumed  to be leading zeros.  The first digit selects the set user
>  ID (4) and set group ID (2) and sticky (1) attributes.  The  second
>  digit selects permissions for the user who owns the file: read (4),
>  write (2), and execute (1); the third selects permissions for other
>  users in the file’s group, with the same values; and the fourth for
>  other users not in the file’s group, with the same values

Hi William,
Thanks for the clue. It took me to several times of reading to get it :)
Sometimes I can see complex things fast, but fails to see very simple ones.

http://linux2.arinet.org
16:34:11 up 7:47, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.