[CentOS] Centos 5.1 - Xen/ domU related booting questions

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Apr 16 15:35:41 UTC 2008

Tomasz Nowak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I successfuly run Centos 5.1 domU in Centos 5.1 dom0.
> But I still have some minor issues/errors/warnings while
> booting I'd like to fix and here are my questions:
>
> 1. How to disable loading usb host controler module:
>   [...from dmesg... ]
>   USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
>   insmod: error inserting '/lib/uhci-hcd.ko': -1 No such device
>   insmod: error inserting '/lib/ohci-hcd.ko': -1 No such device
>   mount: could not find filesystem '/proc/bus/usb'
>   [...]
> I have extra parameters being passed to kernel in grub:
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5xen ro root=LABEL=/
> console=xvc0
> nousb nopcmcia parport=0
> but it seems kernel ignores it in domU (works in dom0)
>
> 2. How to disable loading floppy detection/support
>   Apr 16 14:03:56 xtest1 kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is unknown
>                   type 15 (usb?), fd1 is unknown type 15 (usb?)
>   Apr 16 14:03:56 xtest1 kernel: Failed to obtain physical IRQ 6
>   Apr 16 14:03:56 xtest1 kernel: floppy0: no floppy controllers found
>
> 3. How to disable loading parport/lp modules (parport_pc, parport, lp)
>   Apr 16 14:03:56 xtest1 kernel: lp: driver loaded but no
> devices found
>
> 4. How to setup xm console correctly? While system boots I see:
>
> Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:  [  OK  ]
> Mounting local filesystems:  [  OK  ]
> Enabling local filesystem quotas:  [  OK  ]
> Enabling /etc/fstab swaps:  [  OK  ]
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> Entering non-interactive startup
>
> with no colors. How to make it real console-like, with colors:
>
> Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:    [  OK  ]
> Mounting local filesystems:                       [  OK  ]
> Enabling local filesystem quotas:                 [  OK  ]
> Enabling /etc/fstab swaps:                        [  OK  ]

I use this config for my domUs:

name = "CentOS"
memory = "1024"
extra = "TERM=vt100 xencons=xvc console=xvc0 console=tty1 video=xenfb"
disk = [ 'phy:CentOS/CentOS,xvda,w' ]
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
vfb = [ 'type=vnc' ]
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
vcpus = 1
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'

If you want the xen console as the primary I believe you need
to reverse the consoles in the 'extra' setting, if you want
color then set TERM=linux.

My config also sets up a graphic framebuffer in domU accessible
via vnc.

-Ross