[CentOS] exam txt file

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Thu Apr 17 13:59:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:54:45AM -0400, Max Hetrick wrote:

> Stephen Harris wrote:
>
> > It's mostly likely not an ASCII file; it's probably UTF16 or similar
> > so there are two bytes for every character, but the high byte is 0x00
> > which shows as ^@.
>
> I've seen strange characters in DOS files before.

DOS files typically have ^M characters at the end of each line and
maybe a ^Z at the end of file.  This is different to using an alternate
character set.

> What about running dos2unix on it?

The manual (at least on 4.5) doesn't specifically say it'll convert
character sets.  It might drop the \000 characters as it goes.  *shrug*

--

rgds
Stephen