[CentOS] Centosplus kernel does not have framebuffer support?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:34:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2008, at 19:21, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> > You have another choice here if you would rather not wait for the next
> > update of the centosplus kernel.  The standard kernel with the same
> > NFS bug fix is available from:
> >
> > http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/kernel/5/
> >
> > I have just checked the kernels in there; they do have the framebuffer
> > support enabled.
> >
>  But what is the best way to include all the appropriate kernel RPMs from
> that location in an automated kickstart build?  I mirror my own repo, so I
> guess I could do what I want, but this is how I currently get the centosplus
> kernel from a script called in the kickstart %post section:
>
>     yum --enablerepo centosplus -y update
>
>  Voila, I get all the latest updates as well as the centosplus kernel.

If you have your own mirror, the easiest way would be to get those
bz321111 kernels in your repo.  Johnny Hughes or other CentOS devs
need to chime in here about the plan for those kernels, but my (wild)
guess is that those kernels stay there until they are no longer
needed, namely until 5.2 comes out in which the NFS bug is
(supposedly) fixed.

Or else, depending on how soon the next kernel update comes out, you
may want to wait for the centosplus kernel with the vesa framebuffer
support turned on (provided the change is made in the next release).
I will do my best in reminding Johnny of the corrections. :-)

Akemi