[CentOS] Another samba problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 19 13:40:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My server is CentOS with samba 3.0.25b.  One client box runs Mandriva 2007.1
> with samba 3.0.24.  I can see the client box from the server, but the client
> box can't see the server.  It can see the laptop on the same lan, though.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I could check?  I know Craig said there had been
> some significant changes in recent versions.  Are any of those changes likely
> to have an impact on this?
----
are they on the same subnet?

it almost sounds like firewall rules are in the way.

Always check first from localhost and then from another machine...

from localhost...

smbclient -L localhost
smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME # which is the hostname unless you set
something
                         # different in smb.conf

then from another computer...

smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM
smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME

if localhost & IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM work but NETBIOSNAME doesn't work,
you've got a problem with name resolution.

Craig