[CentOS] New firewall, need mac changed

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 19:25:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> I have read a few ways to do this, but not 100% sure.
>  I need the interfaces reliably associated to the hardware (there are more than one), so the ifcfg-ethn has the mac address in it. I need to match the mac address of an old router that is about to be removed so I need not change any dns related config.

Modify /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and remove the HWADDR
line if you have one, and add a MACADDR with the mac address you want
to use.

Beware, some network cards may protest having the mac address changed,
and using both HWADDR and MACADDR can cause issues. See
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt for details.

George Orwell