[CentOS] enable bootsplash

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon Apr 21 20:05:40 UTC 2008

John wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:23 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > David Hlácik wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, how do i enable boot splash (graphical boot) in CentOs5.1 ?
> > > I am in init 5, i have updated from minimal install to GNOME
> > > using yum groupinstall.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > # yum install rhgb
> >
> > Make sure you have 'rhgb' as a kernel parameter for each kernel
> > in /boot/grub/menu.lst that you want to have a graphical boot
> > for.
> >
> > If you want graphical boot you probably qant to use the 'quiet'
> > kernel parameter too.
> >
> > I've never seen much need for the kernel messages at boot
> > anyways, they scroll by so fast the only way your going to see
> > them is on a serial console with scroll back buffer. There is
> > always 'dmesg' to see these after start up.
> >

> > -Ross
>
> Maybe I am not understanding his question? I am under the impression
> when you group install the gui and change the boot init level to 5 it
> will boot in graphical? Has worked for me on sever console
> only servers.

Aye, but you will not get the graphical start-up screen unless
'rhgb' (Redhat Graphical Boot) is installed. Since the OP had
stated he is in runlevel 5 I assume he is getting the graphic
login (gdm or whatever), but had to deal with seeing it start
up in text mode. Also since he updated from minimal install
he probably didn't have the luxury of having anaconda
pre-select rhgb for him.

Also, for the OP, I think you need to install the bitmap fonts
for the 'rhgb' to work properly. Don't know why upstream didn't
make a dependency of them for 'rhgb', oh well.

-Ross