[CentOS] dying hd on live legacy system...

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:16:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron at pdinc.us> wrote:
> We have an old 3.x server whose hd is dying (kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry:
>  dma status == 0x61) and accessing certain files just crashes the system with
>  a reboot.
>
>  We have moved as many files to a nfs server as we could so simply.
>
>  The system has been heavily modified (all using rpms) from baseline.
>
>  What is the most practical method to replace the hard drive?

Install another drive (same size or larger), boot from CD in rescue
mode and use the dd utility to copy the old drive image to the new
disk (example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb). However, the failing
hardware could make this problematic. Then remove the dying disk and
install the new disk on the cable where the old disk was so that the
new disk is now /dev/hda.

If you are lucky enough to succeed consider mirroring with Linux
software RAID or at least make a full backup.

--
Jeff