[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 27 14:03:09 UTC 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008 13:38:50 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 26 April 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Message: 11
> > Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:25 +0100
> > From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> > <snip>
> > The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001.  If that's
> > the approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs.
> > My Packard Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes
> > can't, but it's not really supposed to, I think.
>
> Anne: This is something that worked fine, for several years. It was my
> box, before my daughter got it, and I used the DVD drive, without
> problems. That it works OK in MS Windows XP and that I can boot the box
> from the same DVD, without problems, has me leaning more toward a
> problem with CentOS 5 Mounting the DVD, in that box. If it is a HW
> problem, I would think the problem would also appear in Windows and when
> I boot from that DVD. However, that it works OK, in 2 other Desktops,
> would possibly indicate a HW problem in that box. TIA, Lanny

Hmm - do you have one of those disks with the micro-brushes that you use to
clean the lens of a DVD drive?  It could be nothing worse than that.  I don't
know what she used it for under XP, but if it was for reading commercial
disks they are undoubtably easier to read than home-burned ones, and its
possible that the linux driver is not as good either.  OTOH, it could be
something quite different :-)

Anne

Anne