[CentOS] How to handle updates after rebuilding PHP?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Apr 29 12:28:20 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes a écrit :

> Notice the .el5 in our (and RedHat's) build.  The one with a .el5 is
> "greater than" the one without .el5, so RPM wants to replace the lower
> version (yours, without the .el5) with the higher version (ours, with
> .el5).
>
> What you need to do (if there is a %{?dist} in the "Release" string) is
> to create a .rpmmacros file in the "home" directory of the user that you
> use to build RPMS with, and in that file, use a "dist" tag that starts
> with something that is "greater than" .el5  ... it could be .kv, .kovac,
> or .el5.kv ... etc.
>
> The line would look like:
>
> %dist .el5.kv

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I tried out what you
suggested, and it works as expected!

> If you are building as root, you also want to probably change that as
> bad things can happen as root if an RPM is not properly written (bad
> things as in it can install things to the system when it builds).  Here
> is an example of how to build as a non root user:
>
> http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

Usually - on my Arch system - I build things as normal user. But if it's
only for rebuilding CentOS SRPMS from [base], I don't bother to setup a
build environment for a normal user.

But I know what you mean: I've been using Slackware for a few years,
where my habit was to write and use SlackBuild scripts as root... I
remember very well how it felt doing an rm -rf $TMP/ with an unset TMP
variable :oD

Niki