[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:39:45 UTC 2008

2008/4/29 Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>:

> > Did you do a mount /dev/hdc /mnt/media?
>
> I tried that but I got this error message: mount point /mnt/media does
> not exist

Having heard my name being mentioned, I'll just say "make the mount point,
then". I.e. mkdir /mnt/media
Have you checked that /dev/hdc is the optical drive? grep ^hdc
/var/log/dmesg
Then looked at the symbolic links? ls -l /dev/ | grep hdc
If the HAL daemon is present and active on the system, inserting a disk into
the drive *should* mount it on an autocreated mount point appropriate for
the type of medium inserted into the drive or the label - if any - that the
disk has been given.

I don't know if this will be any use -
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/HAL

Alan.