[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:57:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Mike: I found a *very* recent thread in the web forum of centos.org>  <http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=47249&topic_id=13912>
>
>  Alan Bartlett wrote to:
>  mkdir /mnt/cdrom  and then    mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
>  Here's the FC6 Install DVD I want to install an RPM from:
>
>  [root at dell1602 ~]# dir /mnt/cdrom
>  eula.txt              RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.html   RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide
>  Fedora                repodata                   RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
>  fedora.css            RPM-GPG-KEY                RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide
>  GPL                   RPM-GPG-KEY-beta           stylesheet-images
>  images                RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora         TRANS.TBL
>  isolinux              RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-extras
>  README-Accessibility  RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-legacy
>  [root at dell1602 ~]#
>
>  The contents of the DVD still do not show up if I open the Icon for it
>  on the GNOME Desktop or if I click on "Computer" and then open that
>  drive.  Doing that, the media still appears to be empty.
>
>  Like you, I am now 99.9% sure that this is not a HW problem.  I am
>  very puzzled, why this works, without any problems, on 2 of the 3
>  boxes I did clean installs on, last Thanksgiving weekend and not on
>  this box.  Lanny

I am unclear on which parts of the above post are yours and which are
from the thread.

However:

Can you access the contents of the DVD from a command line at all?  If
so, have you tried doing the rpm install from the command line?

What make and model of DVD drive is it?  What kind of controller is it
connected to?  Have you checked all the cables to make sure that they
are properly connected and the drive has its jumpers in the right
place?

I have heard that mixing FC and CentOS rpms is not a good idea,
although IIRC FC6 and CentOS 5 are reasonably close.

Just wondering....

mhr