[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:00:18 UTC 2008

On 29 April 2008, Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 29 16:39:45 UTC 2008
<snip>

>Having heard my name being mentioned, I'll just say "make the mount point,
>then". I.e. mkdir /mnt/media
>Have you checked that /dev/hdc is the optical drive? grep ^hdc
>/var/log/dmesg

[root at dell1602 ~]# grep ^hdc /var/log/dmesg
hdc: DV-516D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 50X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(100)
[root at dell1602 ~]#

>Then looked at the symbolic links? ls -l /dev/ | grep hdc

[root at dell1602 ~]# ls -l /dev/ | grep hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root           3 Apr 29 12:30 cdrom-hdc -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root           3 Apr 29 12:30 dvd -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root           3 Apr 29 12:30 dvd-hdc -> hdc
brw------- 1 lanny disk    22,    0 Apr 29 12:30 hdc
[root at dell1602 ~]#

>If the HAL daemon is present and active on the system, inserting a disk into
>the drive *should* mount it on an autocreated mount point appropriate for
>the type of medium inserted into the drive or the label - if any - that the
>disk has been given.

I just updated the hal rpm on the box with the problem and I did a
restart of the box after that.

hald (pid 2069) is running...

>I don't know if this will be any use -
>http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/HAL

Alan: I will check that out! Thanks much! Lanny