[CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 19:13:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:34 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:11 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:03 -0700, MHR wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Must be something like that - if I su and umount it, both icons go
> >  > away.  Then I 'mount -a' and only one comes back.  But if I log out
> >  > and log back in, they both come back.  Must a new "feature" of gnome
> >  > 2.20.0....
> >
> >  If *I* know about it, it *can't* be a *new* feature!  ;-)
> >

> Heh, heh - I meant "feature" as in the infamous Bill Gates interview
> with the German technology magazine, wherein he claimed that Windows
> has no bugs, only features that people do not understand.  (You can't
> make this stuff up....)
>
> The most interesting part to me is that the disk in question is a
> fixed drive in the case.  On my CentOS boxes and laptops, these NEVER
> show up on the desktop (why would they?), only the removable media.

If it is truly a fixed drive, then I would suggest a look at the logs
(dmesg and/or messages) to get it "identity" and then look at udev
configuration scripts. IIUC, udev is assigned the task of identifying
and classifying stuff correctly. Everything else at "higher" levels of
abstraction would depend on those results.

I did a locate on udev and some promising things popped up.

/etc/udev
/etc/sysconfig/modules/udev-stw.modules
/etc/udev/devices
/etc/udev/makedev.d
/etc/udev/rules.d
/etc/udev/udev.conf

Plus there's a bunch of docs about it up in /usr/share/doc/udev-095,
including overview and writing-udev-rules. "man -k udev" offers some
potential help too.

I hope there's an answer hidden in there somewhere.

Chuckles are free, grins @ $0.01.

> mhr
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH