[CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 20:23:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 13:15 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >  You mean regardless of if desktop is started up? In that case, it sounds
> >  like System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media settings need
> >  changing to *not* mount when hot-plugged.
> >

> At the risk of repeating myself: this is a fixed hard drive; it is NOT
> a removable drive nor a removable media drive.  That is why this issue
> is so puzzling to me....

Repeating is not an issue. Long threads promote forgetfulness. But I
didn't forget. I'm just hazarding a guess that whatever the root cause
is, changing those settings might get rid of the extra icon. That, in
turn, gives a hint that might be useful. If it doesn't fix it, it also
provides some help by eliminating some things... I hope.

I'm still hoping that the scan of the dmesg or messages log, in
conjunction with a look a udev stuff might reveal the cause.

The settings suggestion was just a stab at getting rid of the icon,
which was your stated goal.

--
Bill