[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 29 21:18:00 UTC 2008

2008/4/29 William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>:

> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 19:24 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> > 2008/4/29 Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>:
> >         [root at dell1602 ~]# grep ^hdc /var/log/dmesg hdc: DV-516D,
> >         ATAPI
> >          CD/DVD-ROM drive hdc: ATAPI 50X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache,
> >         UDMA(100)
> >         [root at dell1602 ~]#
> >
> > Good(-ish). The optical device is there but it's an old combo
> > CD/DVD-ROM drive.
> >

> >         >Then looked at the symbolic links? ls -l /dev/ | grep hdc
> >

> >         [root at dell1602 ~]# ls -l /dev/ | grep hdc
> >         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root           3 Apr 29 12:30 cdrom-hdc ->
> >         hdc
> >         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root           3 Apr 29 12:30 dvd -> hdc
> >         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root           3 Apr 29 12:30 dvd-hdc ->
> >         hdc
> >         brw------- 1 lanny disk    22,    0 Apr 29 12:30 hdc
> >         [root at dell1602 ~]#
>
> When I do that, I get nothing. But, this is promising (BTW, my prev
> ide-cd thingy was left over from another CentOS box. It's not effective
> on this one.).
>
> ]# ls -l /dev|grep -i "dvd\|cd"
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom-hda -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw-hda -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdwriter -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdwriter-hda -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvd -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvd-hda -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw-hda -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdwriter -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdwriter-hda ->
> hda
>
> And
>
> # ls -Ll /dev|grep -i "dvd\|cd"
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom-hda
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw-hda
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdwriter
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdwriter-hda
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvd
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvd-hda
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw-hda
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdwriter
> brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdwriter-hda
>
> I popped a CentOS DVD in, got one image on the desktop and one mount
> listed from the mount command and one nautilus box popped up..

> [...]

So what does grep ^hda /var/log/dmesg tell you about your optical drive
Bill?

Being a Unix user of 25 years, I'm always a little suspicious of these
new-fangled things like desktops. ;-)
However, if you're using Gnome then please have a look at System -->
Preferences --> Removable Drives and Media
I know that there is a difference in the automount of a data CD/DVD when the
user is root (basically it doesn't, you would have to right-click on the
icon and select mount manually) and when the user is a normal user
(automount err automounts).

Lanny or Bill - Sorry I'm loosing track. One of you has three boxes; in
boxes #1 & #2 the drives behaves as you want, in box #3 the drive
misbehaves. Have you tried the test of swapping the drives in - say - boxes
#2 & #3 and seeing if the problem moves with the optical drive or stays with
box, #3?

The hd{a|b|c|d}=ide-cd kludge certainly isn't required with the CentOS 5
2.6.18-series kernels. I last came across it with a 2.4.8-* IIRC.

Just a few more of my thoughts, for now.

Alan.