[CentOS] load level?

James Gray james.gray at dot.com.au
Tue Apr 29 22:36:52 UTC 2008

Jason Pyeron wrote:
> [...]

(55 kilobytes? or 55,000 messages??  Just curious; the former is nothing
of particular interest...the latter is a concern.)

Sounds like sendmail is hanging up on DNS lookups or other network I/O.
  This wont slow your system down necessarily, it will just inflate your
load averages.  The system load is just a measure of how many processes
are in the run queue averaged over the preceding 1/5/15 minutes.

So if sendmail (and other processes) are waiting for slow DNS responses,
the process will sit in the run queue until it either times out, or gets
a response.  Additionally, if sendmail is trying to connect to
unresponsive SMTP hosts, it will sit with a process in the run queue
until the remote SMTP server either responds or times out.  The fact the
load dropped and then spiked again with the shutdown/restart of sendmail
seems to lend credibility to my hypothesis.

Check your DNS settings and also check to see if you are logging FQDN's
in Apache as this will add significantly to your load average if your
DNS is a little flaky.  If you're worried about security, you only need
to allow UDP/53 for DNS lookups in 99.99% of cases - it would be very
unlikely that a DNS RR exceeds the maximum size of a UDP packet.  To be
completely covered also open TCP/53 *to* your DNS server(s) and allow
connections that are related/established.

Lastly, make sure you reject (as opposed to "drop") any egress traffic
you don't want going out.  This way the local processes wont sit around
waiting as they will get an ICMP connection refused/RST/FIN or whatever
and terminate the connection immediately, clean up and get out of the
run queue.  If you silently drop egress packets at your edge, the local
process will have no idea what happened to it's SYN packet etc, and will
just sit around in the run queue (inflating your load averages) waiting
for a reply that will never come, until it times out.

HTH,

James