[CentOS] Re: case insensitive file system

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Wed Apr 30 17:07:17 UTC 2008

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Krieser <k_krieser at ...> writes:
> I just tried NTFS-3G on a thumbdrive, and I was able to create a file
> that differed only by case from another.  Then something got corrupted.

Could you please elaborate what you did and what kind of corruption happened?

We are doing very exhaustive testing (http://ntfs-3g.org/quality.html) before
all public driver releases and we're not aware of any corruption problem, nor we
have been reported using the latest driver, version 1.2412.

The only issue I can imagine is if the thumbdrive wasn't properly unmounted
before removal. This can cause I/O errors like described at
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#ioerror

NTFS is case preserving and case sensitive in the NTFS POSIX filename space what
NTFS-3G uses. This may confuse some Windows applications but unfortunately there
isn't anything we could do about it, because exactly the same thing happen when
one uses the Microsoft NTFS driver to do the same. No difference. More at
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#posixfilenames1

Regards, Szaka

--
NTFS-3G Lead Developer: http://ntfs-3g.org