[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 18:58:39 UTC 2008

On 29 April 2008, "Alan Bartlett" <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Message: 38
> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:18:00 +0100
> From: "Alan Bartlett" <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
<snip>
> Lanny or Bill - Sorry I'm loosing track. One of you has three boxes;
> in boxes #1 & #2 the drives behaves as you want, in box #3 the drive
> misbehaves. Have you tried the test of swapping the drives in - say -
> boxes #2 & #3 and seeing if the problem moves with the optical drive
> or stays with box, #3?

Alan: Today, I removed the Teac DV-516D DVD/CD reader, manufactured
October 2004, in Japan, from my daughters box. I temporarily hooked it
up in my box. The exact same problem! I could not see the contents of a
DVD-R, but, I was able to see the contents of my Knoppix Live CD,
without any problem. So, I did not bother with the PITA of removing the
DVD/CD reader from my box, and trying that one in my daughters box.

I booted my daughters box with my Knoppix Live CD V. 5.1.1 and it also
showed the FC6 Install DVD to be blank.

I suspect:

(a) The Teac DV-516D DVD/CD reader is not supported in this kernel or
somewhere else in CentOS 5.    or

(b) The DVD/CD reader is somewhat faulty.

(c) However, Windows XP shows it to be "OK" and I can see the contents
of the FC6 install DVD OK, in Windoze. Also, I can boot from the CentOS5
and FC6 Install DVD's, without any problem. And, I was able to mount the
FC6 Install DVD, in a terminal and install the RPM I wanted to install,
without any problems. Thank you, very much, for your time and ideas!
Lanny