[CentOS] File system goes read-only once in a while

Mufit Eribol hme at onart.com.tr
Fri Aug 1 19:21:00 UTC 2008

I think I found the culprit albeit I still don't know how to fix.

1. During boot the screen prints the following errors
"no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
No devices found
Setting up Logical Volume Management: /var/lock: mkdir failed: No such
file or directory"

I have a LV on RAID mounted as /mnt/raid. Then /mnt/raid/var is
symlinked to /var. I found on the internet that some linux systems look
for /var/lock or /var/run on / partition only. Obviously LVM can not
create its file in /var/lock, perhaps /mnt/raid is not mounted yet
during /var/lock mkdir operation.

2. Second important finding is that /forcefsck forces only software raid
not the hardware one. It does the check for md0 (/temp), md1 (/boot),
and md2 (/). It skips /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0 (/mnt/raid) altogether. I
don't know how to force to check it durin reboot.

3. I changed to init level 1. Then tried to umount /mnt/raid. But all I
received was "device is busy" prompt. "umount -l /mnt/raid" was able
unmount /mnt/raid. Then tried to run "fsck /mnt/raid". This time I received
"fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /mnt/raid
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with on alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>"

I tried with one of the superblocks on /mnt/raid. This time I get
"fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open
/dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?"

Sorry for the long post.

This is the point I arrived. I am stumped.

Thank your for all the support.

Mufit