[CentOS] Using CentOS 5 as server; best way to setup NFSv4?

Ryan Dunn oryandunn.ml at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 00:04:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> You seem to be afraid of changing id's but that really isn't that
> difficult - especially considering that it's a one time process...
>
> http://docsrv.sco.com/UG_admin/uaT.chguid.html
>
> next - you really should consider using ldap which is perfect for
> maintaining a single account/password which can be used to authenticate
> users on various machines (but that wont create their $HOME
> directories). Bonus is that if you use LDAP, the samba users also have
> the same uid.
>
> NFS-4 seems to be overkill for a home LAN setup but if you do some
> google searches or at least start with the official documentation on
> setting up NFS-4
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/
> (see section on NFS)
>
> Craig

Thanks for the input.  What would you recommend as a home file server
instead? Samba?  Also, I just got the RHCE book and am just testing things
out, so it has been a nice learning experience for me.

If I were to use LDAP, what would happen if I tried to use the laptop in the
absence of the server?  Is a local copy stored, ala how my work windows
network works?