[CentOS] Fetchmail pop server and clean spam messages

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Sat Aug 2 19:04:38 UTC 2008

nightduke wrote:
> Hi i want to fetchmail from a pop server and check every email to any
> rbl spamhaus,spamcop,etc and if match at any rbl the email will be
> deleted.
>
> It's possible to do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nightduke

If you've got fetchmail configured to retrieve messages from a remote
MTA and deliver to a local MTA, say your local Sendmail instance, then
put the RBL-matching stuff in your Sendmail configuration.  The mail
will still be fetched but will be discarded by your local MTA before
dumping it in you local mailbox.

In principle, it would be better to have the system you are fetching the
mail from do the RBL operations, but if you don't have control over it
then you really don't get much choice.  I'm using this setup myself and
it works, but it offends my aesthetic sense.  OTOH, I'm easily offended!

Your mileage may vary.
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com