[CentOS] File system goes read-only once in a while

Toby Bluhm tkb at midwestinstruments.com
Mon Aug 4 13:42:46 UTC 2008

Mufit Eribol wrote:
> Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> Mufit Eribol wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a LV on RAID mounted as /mnt/raid. Then /mnt/raid/var is
>>> symlinked to /var.
>>
>> I was afraid you were going to say that.

>> mkdir /new_var
>> cd /mnt/raid/var
>> tar cf - . | ( cd /new_var ; tar xvf - )
>>
>> Make sure both dirs look the same.
>>
>> Change the link to /new_var. Or remove the old link & mv /new_var /var.
>>
>> reboot.
> Toby, Thank you for this nice tip. It worked perfectly. The server is
> back in the game again.
>
> Just for my learning experience, I would appreciate if you clarify one
> point though. Why are you afraid when you hear /mnt/raid/var symlinked
> to /var?

Because it can complicate a recovery, as you just experienced.

Why did you feel a need to have /var setup as you did? Did you expect to
fill it up quickly or a need for speed? You also have /tmp separate - do
you expect more than usual activity there?

Perhaps a better question would be - What is the purpose of this
machine? If it's a just a fileserver on a home lan, you don't *need* to
make it complicated, although learning is fun :-).

Running a very active internet facing box with email, mysql, apache,
etc. would probably call for a more complicated setup - which would
actually make recovery & security easier/better.

> Here is my fstab:
> /dev/md2                /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1   <--- md2 Software RAID1
> /dev/md1                /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2   <--- md0 Software RAID1
> /dev/md0                /tmp                    ext3    defaults
> 1 2   <--- md1 Software RAID1
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-sda3         swap                    swap    defaults,pri=1  0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-sdb3         swap                    swap    defaults,pri=1  0 0
> /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0  /mnt/raid               ext3    defaults
> 0 0   <--- Hardware RAID10
>
> Before, home and var were under /mnt/raid directory and symlinked to
> /home and /var. Now, both directories were copied to / (md2 software
> RAID1) as new_home and new_var and /home and /var symlinks are now
> pointing to these new directories. /mnt/raid (hardware RAID10) which is
> the main storage of my server is not being used at the moment.

Instead of using links, may as well just mount it where it belongs.

> I am planning to have 2 logical volumes (for home and var separately)
> instead of 1. Then, they will be mounted as separate partitions as /home
> and /var to /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0 and /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv1,
> respectively. Is it a good approach? Please advise.

I'm somewhat simple-minded - I like to keep the system that way :-). I
split the partitions into 3

   /
   swap
   /home

either on a single disk or mirrored ( swap mirrored too ) - no lvm. For
data storage I use lvm on raid on a separate mount point. Not saying you
should do the same - it's just what I do.

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.