No an Issue? Re: [CentOS] Reloading /etc/hosts

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 4 13:53:01 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts
>
> Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service
> network restart?

I 'forgot' to restart network after a change and did a ping6 and it worked.

Ergo, I think my information is wrong and the /etc/hosts file content is
not cached somewhere in the client resolver code, but read fresh each
time?  I am, it worked.  I created a fqdn that has no connection to
anything possible in DNS, and ping6 worked....