[CentOS] Kernel 92.1.10 build issue

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Aug 7 13:45:56 UTC 2008

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I pulled down the 2.6.18-92.1.10 source, installed it, built the package,
>> copied the straight x86_64 config file from SOURCES into the build
>> directory, redid make menuconfig to enable NTFS support, added the # x86_64
>> back into the .config file, copied .config back to the SOURCES directory and
>> ran rpmbuild -ba --target=x86_64 <spec file> (same as I always do with new
>> kernels), but this time I'm getting this error in the build:
>>
>> Patch #99990 (linux-2.6-rhel-version-h.patch):
>> + patch -p1 -s
>> + perl -p -i -e 's/^SUBLEVEL.*/SUBLEVEL = 18/' Makefile
> (snip)
>> + cat .config
>> + for i in '*.config'
>> + mv kernel-2.6.18-x86_64.config .config
>> ++ head -1 .config
>> ++ cut -b 3-
>> + Arch=x86_64
>> + make ARCH=x86_64 nonint_oldconfig
>> CONFIG_MAX_RAW_DEVS
>> make[1]: *** [nonint_oldconfig] Error 1
>> make: *** [nonint_oldconfig] Error 2
>> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.53835 (%prep)
>>
>> RPM build errors:
>>     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.53835 (%prep)
>>
>> Was there something I needed to tweak in the spec file, other than the build
>> id and a few of the build switches I usually turn off (xen, debug, kdump)?
>
> I suggest you take a look at the Wiki article:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel
>
> It has been updated recently (Alan did most of the work) to
> accommodate recent changes in the spec file.  You will find many lines
> that were changed or added newly.  Among other things, it now suggests
> that you copy the .config file from the config/ directory (or from
> your /boot) instead of the SOURCES directory.  Because your build is
> failing at the step of:
>
>   make ARCH=$Arch nonint_oldconfig > /dev/null
>
> I suspect using the config file from configs/ might fix the error you got.

Also,

Do 'make oldconfig' first, before adding the x86_64 back in and coping
back to the SOURCES dir.

ALSO ... there are some "generic" parts that need stripped out of the
spec or it will override CONFIG settings.  I think they do this so they
don't have to change the fedora configs and still get the RHEL settings.

If you don't remove the "generic" compares in the spec, it will turn of
NTFS regardless of your settings in the config file.