[CentOS] can't get Ethernet SNMP information

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 16:50:15 UTC 2008

2008/8/9 Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>:
> It could be, but I don't know snmp at all. What do I need to change, if you
> don't mind telling me?

You can try creating a /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file with only this line in it:

rocommunity public 192.168.1.0/24

If you want, change "public" to a (secret) community name you want,
and change the IP range to the IP range you want to allow to query
your server via SNMP. (Note that localhost is not included there, so
include another line for 127.0.0.0/8 if you want queries from
localhost.)

This will expose the whole MIB to any host on that IP range using that
community name, and it is a good starting point for your
configuration.

This should be enough to get you started. However, this is a very
permissive configuration (although it doesn't allow writes which could
be dangerous in terms of allowing other hosts to change settings on
your host). It's OK for me, but it might not be considering your
security policies. If you need something more restrictive than that,
read the snmpd.conf manual page very carefully to establish what
exactly you need.

HTH,
Filipe