[CentOS] NFS issues

Johan Swensson

johan.swensson at apegroup.com
Tue Aug 12 12:27:16 UTC 2008

So I'm running nfs to get content to my web servers. Now I've had this
problem 2 times (about 2 weeks since the last occurrence).
I use drbd on the nfs server for redundancy. Now to my problem:

All my web sites stopped responding so I started by checking dmesg and
there I found a bunch of this errors

Aug 11 16:00:39 web03 kernel: lockd: server 192.168.20.22 not responding, timed out
Aug 11 16:02:39 web03 kernel: lockd: server 192.168.20.22 not responding, timed out

But when checking the nfs server lockd was running and I could access
all the files from the webserver with ls, cd etc.

The logs on the nfs server doesn't say anything of interest and checking
apaches error_log just says "not found or unable to stat".

Now I mentioned this have happened 2 times and both these times I've
"solved" it by rebooting the nfs server and web servers. This isn't a
good solution to have to reboot my servers every couple of weeks so I
really could use some help. :)

Also I get this from time to time on the web servers, dunno if it's related.
/do_vfs_lock: VFS is out of sync with lock manager! /