[CentOS] Help setting up external drive via Firewire

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Aug 13 09:16:21 UTC 2008

Noob Centos Admin schrieb:

> The first day's transfer just completed and it took about 1hr 10
> minutes for 101GB, from du -h, which I think is in terms of 1024. So
> that's like 24.6MB/s which admittedly appears to be around the maximum
> real world data transfer rate for USB 2.0. According to some reviews
> of this WD model, the Firewire was supposedly up to 1/3 faster (they
> had figures of 35MBps vs 44Mbps).
>
> So I am hoping to see a similar speed from the Firewire here to save
> some 20 minutes of waiting time, a whole week's backup would be almost
> 2.5 hours of savings!
>
> Going to reboot the system now with the new kernel and hopes I don't
> lose the NIC or something :D

The problem with Firewire is that you need
 a) a "good" chip in the controller
 b) a "good" chip in the Firewire-to-SATA controller in the external
unit (there are no native firewire disks...)

That's what makes IEEE1394 always a bit of a gamble.

There's a reason someone came up with this eSATA stuff...

Rainer