[CentOS] Missing fonts for tightvnc

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:22:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 22:42, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> No. This is Centos 5! So perhaps there is an issue with tightVNC????

Yes, you may try to create symbolic links to have the fonts on the
other path. I'm not an expert on X11 here, but I don't think
applications would have font paths hardcoded. It might be worth the
try though. Where did you install TightVNC from? RPMforge/DAG has an
RPM for it (version 1.3.9-3.el5.rf for CentOS 5).

>> If that still does not fix your problem, then try installing
>> "fonts-xorg-100dpi" and "fonts-xorg-75dpi" as well.
>
> For Centos 5, there are a number of fonts-xorg-100dpi, a '14' a '15' and I
> don't recall what else I found with the help of yumex.

I only have xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi and
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi installed here, and I never had
problems with fonts.

ISO8859-1 is a character set also known as Latin-1, it has fonts for
most western alphabets.

ISO8859-14 and ISO8859-15 are character sets with special characters
for (I believe) easter European countries. I believe one of those is
the same as Latin-1 but with an extra Euro sign, for example. I don't
think you need those, at least not to run TightVNC. Your problem is
probably not there.

HTH,
Filipe