[CentOS] can't get Ethernet SNMP information

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Aug 13 13:20:11 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Well, that's the thing, in Cacti there' an option, "SMP Interface
> Statistics" - which you need to enable first, and then select the different
> interfaces. It's supposed to list eth0 - xenbr0, and everything in between,
> but it doesn't.

Run a snmpwalk against your system's full tree and count the lines
just to verify that it's wide open

snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost .1 | wc -l

One of my systems returns over 4500 lines, if yours is returning
a small amount(few dozen) then security is too tight for the
community string your using and you need to adjust snmpd.conf

See this as an example:
http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/snmp/snmpd.conf

nate