[CentOS] Firewall/Proxy with time window access control

Benjamin Karhan simon at pop.psu.edu
Thu Aug 14 14:45:52 UTC 2008

A little birdy told me that Lunix1618 said:

] I have to setup a system that required to block users access internet in work
] time but let them access internet on specified time window e.g lunch time.
]
] I plan to use iptables and squid to do block and web caching but I have no
] idea how to control access on time frame. Could any one of you experienced
] with this can give some starting point /document/howto start reading ?
]
] My firewal/proxy box will be CentOS 5.2 so I prefer something that can install
] via yum/rpm

i'd just use cron(8)...
  it should be installed by default...
i'd make two sets of firewall rules... one for the "allow" time
  and one for the "deny" time.... then with cron i'd apply the appropriate
  set at the appropriate time...

B. Karhan
simon at pop.psu.edu
PRI/SSRI Unix Administrator