[CentOS] NFS issues

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 00:49:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 09:48, Johan Swensson
<johan.swensson at apegroup.com> wrote:
> I was also thinking about mounting the nfs shares as soft, is this a good
> idea?

No, this is a bad idea. Mounting as soft means that if there is any
errors or timeouts, your writes will fail, and most programs don't
check for the status of those, so you will have undetectable data
loss.

> And also, what's the difference between soft and intr?

Intr (which is a good idea) means that you can use "kill" to stop
processes that are hung waiting for the NFS server. The problem with
"intr" is that I never saw it working. When my NFS server goes down,
the processes that are waiting for it will stay in "D" state, no
matter if I try to "kill" or even "kill -9" them... So, although
"intr" seems like a good idea, in practice it does not make much of a
difference.

HTH,
Filipe