[CentOS] Hard disk, format, filesystem SOLVED

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 15:45:56 UTC 2008

Jussi Hirvi wrote:

>> I would have just used fdisk instead of partd.  If you are adding this
>> to a raid, you don't need a filesystem, just a partition of the right
>> size.  The contents are going to be wiped by the raid sync anyway.
>
> Thanks for comment. Fdisk was recommended me by another experienced user
> too, so there is probably a good reason. Though I don't know, what's wrong
> with using parted.
>
> BTW, this problem partition was not the raid1 partition, but a copy of the
> boot partition on the startup disk. In case the boot disk ever fails, I hope
> I can make the 2nd disk bootable by just installing grub.

I usually create the boot and swap partitions as RAID1 also.  Swap so
running processes won't crash if 1 disk fails and boot so the copy stays
up to date as kernel updates are installed.  But if you start with a
copy of your working /boot you should be able to fix it up with a
rescue-mode boot from the install CD when you need it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com