[CentOS] Disabling IPv4

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 19 13:46:39 UTC 2008

Bad news...

Barry Brimer wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Stephen Harris wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:09:21AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 2
>>>
>>> Hey, wait a minute, I have in my /etc/modprobe.conf: alias net-pf-2 off
>>>
>>> WHAT GIVES HERE????
>>
>> It's probably compiled into the kernel directly and not as a module.
>
> I'm not convinced .. you can start without network .. although that
> may just load the interfaces .. I would chkconfig network off and boot
> again. If net-pf-2 still loads in dmesg .. then I would believe it is
> compiled in .. but probably being called from something in rc.sysinit.
I disabled network. For all runlevels. Rebooted. Did not see any
messages about starting loopback.

Opened a terminal window and did a ifconfig. There was lo with 127.0.0.1
(along with ::1). pinged 127.0.0.1. Does not look good. looked at dmesg,
grepping for NET. Families 16,2,1,17,10, and 31 registered.

So looks like I am stuck with IPv4 no matter what. Unless there is some
magic glue in rc.sysinit.