[CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Toshaan Bharvani toshaan at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:24:13 UTC 2008

Sorin Srbu wrote:

  From: centos-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Toshaan
Bharvani

  Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:42 PM

  To: centos at centos.org

  Subject: Re: [CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

  Steve
Huff wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:04 AM, Sorin at Gmail wrote:

>> I'm using a 3Com 3CRWE154G72 IIRC, which according to the
hwconf's
using the

>> prism54 driver/firmware/whatever.

>> Would I maybe be better off reinstalling the whole shebang and
have
the

>> wifi-card inserted from start in order for the centos
installer to

>> see it

>> properly from the beginning?

> before you do that, open a terminal, become root, and run

> /usr/sbin/kudzu (while the wireless card is installed). that's the

> program that does hardware detection; it may be able to sort out
your

> issue.

> -steve

or if kudzu for some reason doesn't cooperate (which is always on my
system)

become root

run : /sbin/modprobe prism54

run : dmesg | tail

and read whether it just says it has loaded the module (single line) or

detected will output a wlanX statement and you are in business

  Isn’t it
implied that since ”prism54” is listed in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf for the
wifi-card that the module has been loaded already? Or is this some of
the
magical stuff that sometimes doesn’t happen for whatever reason? 8-)

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf is the file kudzu creates when of all detected
hardware at startup and it related this hardware with drivers in the
kernel

but certain drivers are modules in the kernel, wich need to be loaded
manually or later when the system is already running

this can be done by method 1 explained here above or adding them in
/etc/modprobe.conf which makes it load the modules at startup

you will need to add the line (if it is not yet there) :

alias wlan0 prism54

you can check whether the module is loaded with : /sbin/lsmod | grep
prism54