[CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Toshaan Bharvani toshaan at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:42:09 UTC 2008

Sorin Srbu wrote:

  From: centos-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Toshaan
Bharvani

  Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:24 PM

  To: centos at centos.org

  Subject: Re: [CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

  Sorin

  From: centos-bounces at centos.org

  Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:42 PM

  To: centos at centos.org

  Steve
Huff wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:04 AM, Sorin at Gmail wrote:

>> I'm using a 3Com 3CRWE154G72 IIRC, which according to the
hwconf's
using the

>> prism54 driver/firmware/whatever.

>> Would I maybe be better off reinstalling the whole shebang and
have
the

>> wifi-card inserted from start in order for the centos
installer to

>> see it

>> properly from the beginning?

> before you do that, open a terminal, become root, and run

> /usr/sbin/kudzu (while the wireless card is installed). that's the

> program that does hardware detection; it may be able to sort out
your

> issue.

> -steve

or if kudzu for some reason doesn't cooperate (which is always on my
system)

become root

run : /sbin/modprobe prism54

run : dmesg | tail

and read whether it just says it has loaded the module (single line) or

detected will output a wlanX statement and you are in business

  Isn’t
it implied that since ”prism54” is listed in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
for the wifi-card that the module has been loaded already? Or is this
some of
the magical stuff that sometimes doesn’t happen for whatever reason? 8-)

  /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
is the file kudzu
creates when of all detected hardware at startup and it related this
hardware
with drivers in the kernel

but certain drivers are modules in the kernel, wich need to be loaded
manually
or later when the system is already running

this can be done by method 1 explained here above or adding them in
/etc/modprobe.conf which makes it load the modules at startup

you will need to add the line (if it is not yet there) :

alias wlan0 prism54

you can check whether the module is loaded with : /sbin/lsmod | grep
prism54
  This is how
far I got with the above hints. For some reason I don’t have a wlan0,
but
instead a eth0. I did create an alias in Network Manager for eth0 >
wlan0.
Then I ran the below modprobe command according to the below.
  “[root at centos-v5-x86 ~]# /sbin/modprobe prism54
  [root at centos-v5-x86 ~]# dmesg|tail
  eth0: resetting device...
  eth0: uploading firmware...
  prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
  eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
  eth0: islpci_reset: failure
  eth0: resetting device...
  eth0: uploading firmware...
  prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
  eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')
  eth0: islpci_reset: failure
  [root at centos-v5-x86
~]#”

  “When
I try to activate wlan0, I get this message:
  Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
   SET failed on device eth0 ; Input/output error.
  Determining IP information for eth0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No
such file or
directory
  SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
   failed.”
  In /etc/modprobe.conf
I’ve added the line “alias wlan0 prism54”.
  What’s
more, I went to the prism54.org site and found a firmware, downloaded
it and as
per instructed on the site, renamed the .arm-file to isl3890 and put it
in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.
  Upon
restarting and activating wlan0 I still get the above SIOC-error.
  I have a
hunch this might actually work if I put the isl3890-file in the correct
place.
Not sure /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware *is* actually right, as I had
create the hotplugs and firmware-folders.
  Any hints on
this guys?
  TIA.

you have used the following :

2.5.2.0.arm :
http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/fw-softmac/2.5.2.0.arm

            Version 2.5.2.0 built on Thu Mar 4 16:05:03 CET 2004 by
inlbuild at tix

            87a5519d70c16991b8fff9b3b31de68e

            headers

        Source: 3CRWE154G72_Jul_08_04.exe
try renaming to isl3886 as it is a pcmcia card so it is equal to
a pci version and then put in in /lib/firmware