[CentOS] USB Drive is detected and but the device "/dev/sda1" is not initialized

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Aug 20 11:04:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 14:55 +0530, Balaji wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>     I have using CentOS 4.4 and My PC USB Drive is detected and
>     but the device "/dev/sda1" is not initialized and i have executed the
>     I am not sure why this is happening. Can some one throw light on this.

What does "fdisk -l /dev/sda" return?

If there's nothing on the drive you care about try repartitioning with
fdisk and making a file system using "mke2fs", or "mkdosfs" if you want
VFAT.

Phil