[CentOS] Best way to migrate a server?

Rainer Duffner

rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Aug 20 11:19:30 UTC 2008

Kevin Thorpe schrieb:
> I was just wondering what recommendations you have on migrating a
> CentOS 5 install between servers?
>
> I've done similar in the past by setting up a minimal install in the
> new server, use tar to copy over the old install and reboot. I was
> thinking of rsync this time.
>
> Is that an acceptable thing to do or have I missed something important?

You can only sensibly do that using a live-CD on the 2nd server.
Because, last time I looked, if you overwrote "important" libraries that
were in use at the time of overwriting, the server would just crash.
At least, that's what happened with my backup-software back then.

With a live-CD, you could also just pipe "dd" through netcat....

Rainer