[CentOS] General Linux query

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:50:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:13 AM, lingu <hicheerup at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
>   This is more general  linux  related topic ,  i want to know few  basic
> things.

Google is your friend.  A good spell checker might not hurt, either.  :-)

> 1) How file systeem get corrupted on linux?

Pretty much the same way as it might happen under any other OS, but
less frequently if you use a journaling file system.  Also, since
Linux is a significantly more reliable system than many others
overall, the odds are lower for such a thing to happen at all.

> 2)  why,when and how fsck to be run without lossing data?

This really depends more on what kind of file system you are using
than fsck.  Fsck's purpose is to ensure file system integrity.  YMMV.

> 3)  Is there is any other tool  other than fsck available for file system
> check

For file system integrity, not really.  For any other purpose, you're
on your own.

> 4)  what are all the precaution to be made to prevent file system
> corruption.

Pretty much the same precautions you take under any other OS -
reliable hardware and backups.

> 5)  why & when the system will get hanged  and what are all the possible
> reasons?

Pretty much the same as under any other OS - livelocks and deadlocks.
Linux tends to have fewer of both.

>  If any one provide me suitable links providing all of the  above
> information  in detail it will be quite usefull.

http://www.google.com and http://centos.org are good places to start.

(IOW, don't expect to get all the answers handed to you.  If you're
going to play with computers in general, and Linux in particular, you
need to do your homework before asking a question on this, and most
any other, list, and then make the question specific if you want a
good answer.)

Regards,

mhr