[CentOS] Disk quotas for Sendmail

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Aug 21 22:09:59 UTC 2008

Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> I would like to start using disk quotas on my Sendmail server, and optimally
> they should be configurable by user or group. How can this be done? (I tried
> to google, but no success.)

Storing email in users' home folders makes sense in many ways. After
all, those too are their files, not anybody else's.

As an alternative, pretty close but not quite the same, I use Cyrus
IMAPd, and keep the main Cyrus spool in /home/cyrus. This way, the /home
volume is just "users' files" except I don't keep user johndoe's email
in /home/johndoe/mail but in /home/cyrus/....../johndoe
And Cyrus already has quota limits at the application level. Also has
built-in filtering with Sieve. Faster, more powerful, more scalable than
procmail & friends.

It's just a suggestion, I'm not saying this is the ideal solution for
every scenario.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/