[CentOS] Re: Is there a way to save the routing table permanently?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Aug 22 17:39:40 UTC 2008

RobertH wrote:

> Hasn't this been hashed over several times in the past year to the same end
> result?

I think so..

> It appeared to me the original issue (this time) was being able to do
> primary and secondary dns on one box with different ip addresses because the
> registrar needed two different ip addresses when registering a domain.

In which case you can get two(or more) IPs from the same ISP..

> ...better yet, since both links appear to be residential, ask a buddy with a
> colo for for access and make it the primary dns and pull secondary on your
> residential, or get a VPS server or two, or something else...
>
> Unless it is a pure don't care if down sometimes hobby, having primary and
> secondary dns on last mile residential links, regardless of budget or your
> reliability perceptions, is not particularly wise.

I've been hosting my own DNS/web/mail on my home DSL (1Mbps, 4 static
IPs) for about 7 years now, though I'm moving to a co-lo early next
month. My ISP was bought out again(3rd time..), and the new ISP says
they'll be changing my IPs later this year, so save myself some
trouble and make the jump to a local co-lo, and reduce power usage
in my apartment, and reduce noise, and reduce the amount of pain
involved in moving to a new location(co-ordinating minimal downtime),
and save about $40/mo (current 1Mbps DSL+ISP vs 1Mbps co-lo and
16Mbps cable modem).

I will miss it though, the flexibility of having static IPs and stuff
at home to be able to mess with stuff, not as much flexibility being
restricted to 1 rack unit of space at a local co-lo(short of
virtualization which I'm doing). Though I haven't really done
anything creative with it in several years.

My two name servers are right next to each other on the same subnet,
behind the same firewall, on the same physical server(two systems
are virtualized). But my availability requirements aren't as high
as say the company I work for who has four F5 global traffic managers
split between the West and East coasts of the U.S., each on a different
ISP(our internal goal is 5 nines of availability), and several
hundred servers serving data.

nate