[CentOS] Lies wide open ...!

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:24:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM, ABBAS KHAN <bashukhan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Being as a Windows geek tho, I consider Linux as a more powerful server
> operating system than Windows. When I saw OS comparison at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/linux/server-security.mspx I
> was shocked! Showed it to a friend and he felt like being brainwashed :D
> lol.
> What do you fellows think about this?

It's marketing, plain and simple. Do you think that a windows website
is going to expound upon the virtues of linux while trying to sell a
competing product?

When you look at the supposed security reports comparing windows and
linux, are they figuring in everything that ships with the
distribution as a 'linux' vulnerability? For example, when comparing
RHEL against Win2k3, do they figure openoffice stats against linux
while saying that MSOffice is separate?

Do they use default configurations against tuned setups when comparing speeds?

Most importantly what is your system administrator familiar with? Many
times security and system stability come down to the skill of the
administrator responsible for the system. A stellar windows admin with
a windows server is better than a shoddy linux admin with his/her
distro-de-jour.

Use the tools appropriate for the task, within the administrator's
skillset. If no such combination exists, find a new admin.  These
days, system admins are a dime a dozen, but if you find one who is
truly gifted in the art, they're worth their weight in gold.

George Orwell