[CentOS] USB drive detected, but nothing gets mounted.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 23 18:30:13 UTC 2008

On Saturday 23 August 2008 19:04:55 MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > OTOH I got a new ViewSonic monitor, treating myself to one with a DV
> > output. CentOS couldn't handle it and I had to got back to analogue :-(
>
> I'm not entirely sure what this part of the thread has to do with the
> subject, but:
>
> I got myself a new 22" 16x10 monitor, and I'm using the DVI cable
> (cleaner graphics, nicer picture), and the only "problem" I'm seeing
> is that it has a slow response coming out of power-down (screen-saver)
> state - it takes several seconds to bring up the login window, whereas
> the VGA cable used to give a pretty quick response (usually under 2
> seconds) on this.

It was a small aside about the way that devices do/don't announce themselves,
and the difficulties that OSs sometimes have in recognising them.  I freely
admit that although I've had the monitor for at least 6 months now I haven't
tested to see whether the DV input is now supported in the kernel, so I don't
know whether it is a driver problem or the 'announce' problem.

It's not significant, in detail terms, to the thread, but there is some
correlation.

Anne