[CentOS] OT: Google Earth, v.4.3.7284.3916 (beta) on CentOS 5.2 (32 bit)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Aug 24 14:46:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 14:05 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 6:46 AM, William L. Maltby
> <snip>

> >> Then, I did some reading on the Google site. Question: How do I
> >> determine whether or not the CPU in this box (I think it's an Intel
> >> Celeron 2.6 GHz) supports SSE2 or not? I suspect the CPU does *not*
> >> support SSE2.   Posting some information below:
>
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Bill: The data are below. There is a flag for sse2. Does that mean
> this CPU supports SSE2 or not? If it does support SSE2, that gives me

What the flag is *supposed* to mean is that SSE2 is supported.
However ...

> a mystery, about why the latest version of Google Earth wouldn't run
> properly.   Lanny
>
> [lanny at dell2400 ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
> stepping        : 9
> cpu MHz         : 2591.741
> cache size      : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid
> xtpr
> bogomips        : 5185.86

Let us not forget how many moving parts there are here. And let us not
overlook past history, like math co-processors that didn't (correctly).

It's not certain that the SSE2 is the issue is it? Regardless, chips go
through revisions to fix/enhance things. It is entirely possible that
the SSE2 implementation on that chip is flawed. The application software
can also be the cause. Use the stepping number of the chip to google
around and see if there's any record of problems.

I would also google for any little utils that test the SSE2 instruction
set. Not because I think there's a problem, but because it would be a
preemptive strike when the support folks say the problem is that your
CPU doesn't properly support SSE2. It'll probably be DOS based.

Most good software includes tests and "emulators" for some missing
"features". I would suspect either the software is not properly
detecting that you have SSE2 of it has some other fundamental problem,
like library versions, kernel features not enabled, etc.

A good handle might be obtained by running it with strace and see where
the problem occurs, if possible.

Then folks having greater expertise than I might be able to help
pinpoint the problem.

--
Bill