[CentOS] (Global/Any) setting for "show hidden files?" - SOLVED

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 20:26:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:31 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > MHR wrote:
> >>
> >><snip>

> >> So, to clarify:  when an issue is solved, modify the subject: line so
> >> to indicate and do NOT start a new thread?
> >>
> >> Foo - I thought I had it right this time....
> >
> > I, for one, dont think its worth wasting time with the SOLVED word in the
> > subject lines. noone searches through achieves with the word 'SOLVED' in
> > there.
>
> I did that, a few days ago, but if it starts a new thread, I'll try to
> remember not to do that.

I've used the change on subject w/o complaints, as have many others. I
don't use gmail though. However, I don't know the worth of a modified
subject indicating the problem is solved.

But I'm posting to let you know you should be able to have the best of
both worlds.

If this is *too* basic, please forgive me. But the thread led me to
believe that not everyone realizes that the free mail services have
drawbacks when used alone and that they could be used in conjunction
with your favorite MUAs on your laptop/desktop.

Also, I've forgotten *much* about this stuff years (decades?) ago. I'm
sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will jump in and make
corrections as needed.

All my mail is delivered via Road Runner, which has a web interface
available. With the stock sendmail (or any of the usual alternatives)
you can configure automatic or manual pickup of your mail from any of
the mail services with local spooling. But this is not required either.

The simplest for folks that don't want to become mail administration
experts is to use your favorite mail user agent (MUA) and in the setup
provide the URL of the mail server. You may need two. E.g. for my Road
Runner service:

    pop-server.triad.rr.com
    smtp-server.triad.rr.com

entered in both my Evolution and Thunderbird setups does the trick. I
use both, with different user-ids of course. Depending on the service
providers facilities, IIRC you can leave mail on the server as well, if
desired.

Heck, I'm not even sure a separate MTA/MDA is needed with this sort of
setup. I've never bothered to look. Checking /var/log/maillog, it looks
like the only thing my sendmail does is allow the log checker to send
mail to root (w/processing by procmail).

Anyway, with this setup I can still use the webmail facility if I choose
- I don't often but have done so - or use the MUAs (T'bird and
Evolution) and get all the nice facilities, like edit subject lines w/o
adverse effects.