[CentOS] Centos 5.2, Firefox 3, and IPv6

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Aug 27 13:24:42 UTC 2008

Rob Townley wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Robert Moskowitz
> <rgm at htt-consult.com <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>> wrote:
>
>     Craig White wrote:
>
>         On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 23:28 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>             Craig White wrote:
>

>                 On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 21:11 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>                     I am doing some testing and it almost seems as if
>                     Firefox 3.0.1 that comes with Centos 5.2 is NOT
>                     working with IPv6.
>
>                     Anyone know for sure?
>
>                     I am getting weird hang behaviours and other just
>                     not working things.
>

>                 ----
>                 more likely a DNS issue
>

>             Name is coded in /etc/hosts
>
>             Of course the fqdn I am using does NOT follow 'standard'
>             TLDs, but it should NOT be masking that, or would that be
>             a 'security' feature?
>

>         ----
>         I have no clue what you are talking about being coded in
>         /etc/hosts...
>
>         you can check DNS if it returns ipV6 addresses for hosts or if
>         there are
>         snags/delays in trying to resolve names from command line
>
>     p3490.htt is in my /etc/hosts file as something like:
>
>     2701:24:2:1:0:1:2:3   p3490.htt
>
>     I can 'ping6 -n p3490.htt'
>
>     But putting a url of http//p3490.htt does not work....

> DNS can be real slow when IPv6 is enabled.  For instance the following
> firefox delta would speed up firefox on IPv4 connections.  Maybe you
> need to turn it on?

> You may have already found this, but it helped when I had the same
> problem.
>
> In firefox type in about:config,
> filter for 'ipv6' you should have an entry for network.dns.disableIPv6
> right click on it and 'toggle' it to a true value,
> restart firefox and see if it helps.

Um, as the original poster, I WANT IPv6.  Not make IPv4 lookups faster
by ignoring AAAA records.

Further testing has IPv6 working just fine.  Thing is when I enable the
HIP API intercepts, FIrefox does not work.  Like they are doing
something 'non-standard' with the regualr TCP socket API so that HIP
can't slide in there.  I tried disabling a number of options, thinking
it might be some security setting, but if it is, I have not found it.