[CentOS] nsswitch.conf, ldap, local groups problem

Mark Hennessy mark at hennessy.cx
Wed Aug 27 21:56:28 UTC 2008

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 17:35 -0400, Mark Hennessy wrote:
>> Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

>>  I'm seeing

>> nscd password
>> with an LDAP
>>  continues

>> > ----
>> > do you have this line in /etc/pam.d/system-auth
>> >
>> > account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
>> >
>> > ???
>> >
>> > What does your /etc/pam.d/system-auth look like?
>> my /etc/pam.d/system-auth:
>> #%PAM-1.0
>> # This file is auto-generated.
>> # User changes will be destroyed the next time authconfig is run.
>> auth        required      pam_env.so
>> auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
>> auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
>> auth        sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_first_pass debug
>> auth        required      pam_deny.so
>>
>> account     required      pam_unix.so broken_shadow
>> account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
>> account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_ldap.so
>> account     required      pam_permit.so
>>
>> password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
>> password    sufficient    pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass
>> use_authtok
>> password    sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_authtok debug
>> password    required      pam_deny.so
>>
>> session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
>> session     required      pam_limits.so
>> session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in
>> crond quiet use_uid
>> session     required      pam_unix.so
>> session     optional      pam_ldap.so debug
>> session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022
>>

>> ===
>> I added
>>
>> account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
>>
>> right before pam_ldap in the account section and tried again with the
>> same procedure (turn off networking (chkconfig --levels 2345 network
>> off), reboot).
>>
>> Same result, login dies and gets restarted.
>>
>> login: root
>> Password:
>>
>> login:
> ----
> well, it hardly makes any sense to use ldap for user accounts and start
> up with networking off but I would recommend that you adhere to the
> advice at the top of the file and run 'authconfig' or
> 'system-config-authentication', make sure the settings are correct
> (including checking the box for local authentication is sufficient) so
> that it configures not only /etc/pam.d/system-auth and nsswitch.conf

Yes, I agree, it makes no sense to operate a machine with ldap
accounts if it has no network connection, but at least one should be
able to log in as root.  To clarify, here's the problem:
I have a machine.  In normal operation, the network connection is
non-functional and LDAP accounts are usable and everyone does their
thing over ssh.  If the network connection craps out, I can get into
the machine via serial console and try to find out what's going on,
perhaps switch to a different network connection, whatever.  If I
can't log in as root, my only recourse is to powercycle the machine
and go into single-user mode.  Now, multiply that by 100.  This is why
I need to get this working.