[CentOS] unix2dos did NOT fix line wrap problem on PC

Jeff jlar310 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:13:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM, mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> I have log files will mail from LINUX to my PC (MS exchange and outlook).
>
> When I look the E-MAIL, the log file line is unwrap.  My script did use
> "unix2dos" to convert format.  anyone know why?
>

> ======   script   =============
>
> tail -30 /var/log/messages > /tmp/diskmsg.log
> unix2dos /tmp/diskmsg.log
> mail  -s "Check log" dba101 at yahoo.com  </tmp/diskmsg.log

unix2dos has nothing to do with the length of a line. It only changes
the line-end characters that occur when a new line is specifically
indicated (i.e. at the end of each log entry).

Wrapping is entirely a function of the program in which you are
viewing the text. So tweak your Outlook to wrap or not-wrap as you see
fit.

--
Jeff